Monday, February 27, 2006

Sunday Breakfast in Old Town



I sat at a table big enough for four
There was myself and that was it.
I perused the menu and picked my dish
Watched others come in and sit
The Mexican joint was not too crowded
Maybe five or ten people at most
A college girl sitting all sophisticated
Was reading the Denver Post
She wiggled in place and traded me glances
She sipped her coffee, alone
I buried my head in last week’s “Ticket”
It was the only paper I owned
A college couple sat by the front window pane
It divided them from the walk
They too seemed content in their reading
I never once saw them talk.
The waitress placed a solitary fellow
At a table just next to mine
I continued to read the entertainment pages
Didn’t glance at him while he dined
Absorbing more of myself than others
A man cleared his throat at me
“Can I steal this chair from you?’ he asked
I said, “Go ahead, take three”
More people meandered in and out
I ate my eggs on toast.
Then came a scraggly college dude
He confidently looked “East Coast”
He talked to the cashier, placed an order
And then walked over to the miss
She closed the Post and stood up quickly
She gave him a gentle kiss.
He tickled her breasts thinking no one saw
Then sat down picking at her plate
The party of nine was ordering now
I just read my paper and ate
Seven coffees and a juice and a cup of Earl Grey
It was quite a different mix of folks
More people crowded in, my plate was clean
I needed my pack of smokes.
I took my ticket, paid my bill
I casually walked away
I’d never see any of those people again
But the time was nice that day

No comments: